Friday, December 8, 2006

“HOLIDAY SEASON” LIST (P.S.)

One of the best books you could give anyone for Xmas or Honakkuh or Kwanza or Winter Solstice or whatever you might, or might not, celebrate, I left off my earlier list:

KINDSIGHT

It’s a selection of Robert Zuckerman’s photographs of people he encounters in his travels as one of the best movie still photographers in that business.

But unlike the shots he takes of movie stars in action, often used for the films' posters, these candid photographs of nurses/taxi drivers/homeless people/hospital patients/holocaust survivors/store clerks/etc. are not only raw and fresh and everday beautiful, but the accompanying mini-essays about the person or Robert’s encounter with them are as unique as the photos and make them even more poignant and/or joyous and/or thought provoking and/or a reason to celebrate life and the human spirit.

I don’t want to sound sappy, but this book read from cover to cover, was a spiritual experience for me. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

AlamedaTom said...

"Kindsight" is indeed a treasure. The photos are exquisite and the text that accompanies each photo is a perfect example of "less is more." The layout is text on the left page and photo on the right page as the book lies open.

I love all of the "sets" but probably my favorite is "Connie and Irv, Miami, December 2003." (page 40 - 41).

I agree with the Lal. You can't go wrong giving this book as a gift.

~ Tom