Tuesday, May 23, 2017

BILL EVAN'S PEACE PIECE

When tragedy strikes, I always turn to some form of art to console and sustain me. This recording has been a standby for that since I first heard it, shortly after it came out, when I was a teenager wannabe Bill Evans. I'd put the album on, place the needle on the groove where this tune began (improvised on the spot in the studio as I heard it), turn the speakers up loud to get lost in the eternal now of the creative process and let the emotions come.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Oh, yes! Such a beautiful and deep song. I still have the Everybody Digs Bill Evans album I bought in the early 60's and that particular song is very scratched up.

Another song that has a similar affect on me is a little known piece called The Awakening from a Bud Shank album called NEW GROOVE (1961)on Pacific Jazz (one of the best album he ever made). It's a quintet featuring Carmell Jones on trumpet. And, of course, being a west coast thing, no piano. But an absolutely gorgeous song featuring a beautiful baritone solo by Shank. Over the years I haven't met one person who's ever heard it before which really befuddles me.

Lally said...

you got me man, I don't think I ever heard it either, though it sounds familiar so maybe I did back when I took the West Coast/East Coast Jazz division seriously (I was a teenager, so...