Sunday, February 24, 2019

OSCAR PICKS

Here's the winners I'd like to see in the categories where I saw all the contenders, (with the caveat that a lot of my favorites didn't get nominated in most categories):

Best Picture: is a tough one since I can raise at least one objection to each movie that got nominated, but my personal choice is BLACKKKLANSMAN, because though it is definitely Spike Lee's most audience friendly film, it still highlights Spike's directorial flourishes that were once revolutionary and unique but now are classic, and despite bending the "truth" the movie unfolds as almost a lesson in the fundamentals of moviemaking.

But if that's overlooked I'd like BLACK PANTHER or BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY to win for the passion and originality they bring to typical blockbuster movie making (and I wish CRAZY RICH ASIANS had been included for the same reason).

Best Actor: is for my taste dominated by Christin Bale's portrayal of Cheney in VICE, just an amazing commitment to realizing a character we all have our own idea about.

Best Actress: Glen Close and Olivia Colman gave the greatest performances among the nominees, but for sentimental and political reasons, and because her performance is amazing for a first timer, I'd like to see Yalitza Aparicio win.

Best Supporting Actor: I love and admire Mahershala Ali's work, but because he was portraying a man I knew as someone quite different, I can't, and besides I think Richard E. Grant's performance was even more challenging and complex and successful.

Best Supporting Actress: I can't totally choose because despite trying to see it I haven't been able to catch IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK yet, but among those other than Regina King, I'd choose Emma Stone for once again giving a most nuanced performance that still covers the spectrum of human emotion and behavior. She excels at that more than most.

Best Director: Spike Lee, it's deserved and its time.

Best Adapted Screenplay: a tie for Spike and his fellow writers on BLACKKKALNSMAN and the writers of CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME.

Best Original Screenplay: Paul Schrader for FIRST REFORMED despite how uncomfortable it made me.

Best Animated Feature: ISLE OF DOGS

The rest of the categories I didn't see enough of the contenders to have an honest opinion about, but still I'd love to see RBG win Best Documentary for sentimental and political reasons (though I'm still miffed that the Fred Rogers doc wasn't nominated).

No comments: