Tuesday, January 17, 2023

GINA LOLLOBRIGIDA R.I.P.

 
In the 1950s when I went from boy to young man I had crushes on a lot of movie stars and three European ones in particular: Bridget Bardot, Simone Signoret, and Gina Lollobrigida. Signoret remains one of my favorite movie actresses. Bardot became a problematic personality. But Lollobrigida, who resembled my Italian-American sister-in-law (I was the ring-bearer at her wedding to one of my brother's in 1949) is the only one I got to meet. 

My soon-to-be second wife, Penny, and Gina were celebrity guests at some event (was it at Bloomingdales?) in 1982 which she took me and my kids to (I was a single parent) and I got to meet Gina, who turned out to be gracious, unpretentious, smart, and funny. I was thrilled, and still am. R.I.P.

No comments: