Thursday, January 15, 2009

ANOTHER LIST

This one thought up last night while trying to get back to sleep after the snow started and the sand trucks came through, got thinking about being back in Jersey almost ten years now and that got me thinking about people from Jersey who I admire, or who have done some things I admire, some who left, some who left and came back like me, and some who are still here (I could have filled in the missing letters with people who didn’t grow up in Jersey but were either born here and moved away (ala Kevin Spacey who was born in my home town) or JAY-Z (born in New York I think but has lived in Jersey for a long time) or Thomas Edison (born and raised elsewhere but did most of his breakthrough work at his labs in West Orange, made his first films there too):

ADDAMS, CHARLES and JASON ALEXANDER
BASIE, COUNT, JOAN BENNETT, AMIRA BARAKA and ZACH BRAFF
COOPER, JAMES FENIMORE, STEPHEN CRANE, LOU COSTELLO (his straight man, Bud Abbot was from Jersey too, but I never liked him) and TOM CRUISE (despite a lot I don’t like about him he’s still done some things I admire)
DEE, SANDRA, DANNY DEVITO and KIRSTEN DUNST
E
FRANCIS, CONNIE, BARNEY FRANK (he may represent a Massachusetts congressional district, but it was growing up in Jersey that gave him that accent and attitude)
GINSBERG, ALLEN, LESLIE GORE, GLORIA GAYNOR, SAVION GLOVER and JAMES GANDOLFINI
HOUSTON, WHITNEY and LAURYN HILL
I
JOHNSON, JAMES P. and JON BON JOVI (why not)
KINSEY, ALFRED (yes, the sex researcher, grew up partly in my home town), ERNIE KOVACS and ZALMAN KING
LANGE, DOROTHEA, JACOB LAWRENCE, JERRY LEWIS, HUEY LEWIS, RAY LIOTTA and QUEEN LATIFAH
MARIN, JOHN, NORMAN MAILER (not a favorite and I think he’s way overrated, but he did write some things I liked) and JAY MOHR
NELSON, RICKY and JACK NICHOLSON
O
PARKER, DOROTHY, PAUL ROBESON and JOE PANTOLIANO
Q
ROTH, PHILIP
STIEGLITZ, ALFRED, FRANK SINATRA, EVA MARIE SAINT, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, BROOKE SHIELDS, MERYL STREEP, SUSAN SARANDON, PATTI SMITH, JOHN STEWART, ELIZABETH SHUE and KEVIN SMITH
TRAVOLTA, JOHN
U
VAUGHAN, SARAH and FRANKIE VALLI
WILLIAMS, WILLIAM CARLOS, EDMUND WILSON, THERESA WRIGHT, DIONNE WARWICK and BRUCE WILLIS
X
Y
Z

No comments: