Wednesday, August 7, 2013

20 FEET FROM STARDOM

Been hearing great things about this documentary and all I can say is they didn't praise it enough! It's joyful, poignant, heartbreaking, inspiring, and a lot of other superlatives. But the main thing is the singing. Mmm mmm mmm. Too good to be true but the good news is it is.

Plus, it's some of the best editing I've seen in a documentary. Loved the pacing and cuts and overlaps and all the rest. As you probably know it's the story of the back up singer sound that came out of the '50s and '60s and dominates most of our favorite riffs and hooks in the music of that era and the decades that followed.

There's the singers you might know or have heard of like Darla Love, Claudia Lennear et. al. and many you probably haven't. Interviews with the stars they backed and more. It's like a lifetime of music in the length of a feature film. Too good to miss. I especially recommend seeing it on the big screen with a great sound system if it's playing anywhere near you.

That's the way me and a good friend saw it tonight and it was total immersion in the incredible voices showcased here. I'm only sorry I didn't see it with my teenage son. But I love it so much I'm gonna do my best to get him to go see it with me tomorrow so I can lose myself in those voices once again.

3 comments:

AlamedaTom said...

Recently heard an interview with Merry Clayton re: her solo on the Stones' "Gimmie Shelter." I'm not sure what I thought she was singing all these years but it sure wasn't "Rape, Murder." Fascinating. I'm really looking forward to seeing the documentary.

~ Willy

Lally said...

You'll love it Willy.

Lally said...

Oh, and ditto on the "rape, murder" bit which is in the flick and surprised me as well after decades of singing something else to that tune!