Thursday, September 5, 2013

ASHVILLE

ASHVILLE is the second play in a series by Lucy Thurber that tell the life story of a female from childhood to maturity, all of the plays now being performed in theaters round Manhattan, with ASHVILLE at The Cherry Lane. ASHVILLE covers a time in the protagonist's sixteenth year when her family life is in turmoil and she is faced with decisions no sixteen-year-old should have to be making.

It's directed brilliantly by Karen Allen (an old and dear friend but nonetheless still brilliant) with a perfect set and a terrific cast. Every actor had their moments when the play became that character's and each actor's chance to make the story theirs for a while and each actor created a reality that left me entranced or impressed or so totally engaged I forgot for a moment I was watching a play.

But the actor who carried the main burden of the story and whose character was the center of the story and who had the most emotional notes to hit was Mia Vallet, and it was her first time on a stage outside of school! An indelible and memorable and startlingly accomplished debut.

ASHVILLE is very intense (like the rest of the plays in the series, I've heard). The performances require a wide range, from comedy to tragedy, with a lot of physical action that at times becomes almost too real. But despite the pathos there are many laugh out loud moments. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Totally worth seeing. It made me want to see the entire series.

2 comments:

Tore Claesson said...

Michael, I more than anything on your always wonderful blog, appreciate the insights into acting that you sometimes give us. As you yourself are an actor, it rings more true, than most rewivs I read composed by critics.
Although I'm sure some critics may have both a love for acting and an understanding of what it takes.
However, your love for the art is so clearly felt in your comments. Although I know nothing about acting other than being able to tell wether I am moved by it or not, I think I gain a little more knowledge just by reading your blog. It's educational. Even though I suspect you don't really approach it from a teacher's angle.
Love your writing, man.

Lally said...

thanks Torre