Wednesday, September 20, 2017

IN HONOR OF THE LATE GREAT JAZZMAN RED MITCHELL'S BIRTHDAY (AND WITH A NOD TO THE LATE GREAT JAZZMAN LEX HUMPRIES)

[from my book THE VILLAGE SONNETS about the years 1959-62 when I was a teenager trying to make it in Greenwich Village as a jazz musician from Jersey]


9

I crashed a Village party with street bros where
Red Mitchell was playing with a small combo.
When they took a break I stood his bass up and
played the melody to MOANIN’. Red made it
clear he didn’t dig strangers playing his ax. I
laid it down but drunkenly tripped, putting a
tiny crack in it with my pointy-toed boot and
was thrown out. For a long time hip Villagers
knew me as the little J.D. who kicked a hole in
Red Mitchell’s bass. At a Brooklyn party Lex
Humphries loaned me a rubber when I asked,
cause Princess insisted. We went up to the
roof, but it was tilted and covered in pebbles
that dug into our backs as we almost rolled off.

No comments: