Monday, August 24, 2020

LOVECRAFT COUNTRY

 

Let me add my voice to those who have praised LOVECRAFT COUNTRY, the new HBO series. It's fantastic, literally. Set in the 1950s, it weaves the realities of racism in he USA, the actual terrorism of white supremacy, and the everyday heroism of the terrorized with elements of fantasy that rise to the level of poetic and visual metaphors for those terrors and that survival, The cast is excellent, the production values matchless. I'm not a fan of fantasy fiction or sci-fi or horror movies, all of which LOVECRAFT COUNTRY could be categorized as, but I am a fan of James Baldwin and Gil Scott-Heron, both of whose words are heard as part of the soundtrack in the first two episodes of the series. I can't wait to see whose words show up in coming episodes. 

No comments: