Monday, February 5, 2007

ROME

I love the HBO series ROME, even if it is a soap opera version of Dynasty crossed with the Sopranos, and all done in togas, with the old Hollywood device of snooty Brit accents for the upper classes and Cockney for the lower, as if the old Roman Empire were Victorian England.

Although, as often with old Hollywood, the Brits are often Celts—Irish or Scots or Welsh actors putting on the stage English, like Burton and O’Toole and the rest often did. In fact half the cast of Rome seems to have red hair!

But despite all that, I’m addicted. And although the history is sometimes iffy, even fantasy, especially the private conversations and shenanigans, sometimes the writing is exquisite and the acting superb.

In between those stellar moments, it’s just soap opera spectacle fun, but not for the faint of heart.

1 comment:

AlamedaTom said...

Why am I not surprised that you are addicted to "Rome." Last season knocked my socks off and so far this (final) season is even better.

For those who are grieving over the failure of HBO to grant us further seasons (see Deadwood!), I have a great fix for you. "I, Claudius."

You can rent this 13 episode PBS masterpiece, based on the book by Robert Graves. Originally aired in 1976, I remember watching it avidly then with my great, late friend Bill Mahannah, who was a total "Graves/Roman history" freak. A couple of years ago, I rented it from Netflix and watched it anew. Suffice it to say, it holds up wonderfully. Derek Jacobi is superb as Claudius, and Sian Phillips as Livia is much more deliciously "bad" than any of the women in "Rome." Plus you get a young John Hurt near the end of the series playing Caligula.

Tom says five out of five stars.