Thursday, February 8, 2007

SOME SHORTER LISTS

As I said in an early post, I have a tendency to link things in threes, due to Catholic (Trinity) or Irish (shamrock) or other early influences. So here’s three lists of threes:

Three recent movies that linger in my consciousness in ways that make me feel they may be lasting favorites:

1. VENUS (worth it if only for Peter O’Toole and Vanessa Redgrave’s tour de force performances, as always, but the rest of the cast is great too and the story not bad either)
2. NOTES ON A SCANDAL (ditto for Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett and Bill Nighy, and if aspects of the story have been told before, never like this)
3. BABEL (despite my earlier questioning of the screenplay, the acting is impeccable, the direction transcendent, and the story(s) compelling)

Three recent books I’ve read that should not be overlooked:

1. BITTERSWEET KALEIDOSCOPE, Poems by Bill Mohr, a poet whose work is honest, engaging, well wrought and from a unique perspective: his.
2. THE SNOW ANGEL, A Novel by Michael Graham, a “police procedural” but also an original Christmas fable, that not only offers hope in the form of serious redemption, but from the perspective of an experienced detective and investigative reporter, as Graham was. I laughed and I cried, as they say, but I really did.
3. DAYS BY THEMSELVES, Poems by Brooks Roddan, a poet who uses very few notes to sing his songs of self-and-surroundings awareness, and observes the aging process with restrained precision and depth, as well as the indispensable gratitude.

And three recent documentaries not to be overlooked or forgotten:

1. WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE, Spike Lee’s HBO documentary about Katrina and its aftermath could have been edited down to a feature film and been one of the all time best, but even as is, it’s full of details, both personal and historical, that should never be forgotten.
2. BASTARDS OF THE PARTY, another HBO documentary, about the history of black gangs in L. A.—from their origins in the mid-20th-century response of black youths to racist white gangs, up to the ongoing rivalry between crips and bloods. Some of those interviewed have more screen presence than any movie star, and there is so much intelligent analyses, from gang members themselves, as well as lyrically honest riffs on feelings and experience, it almost seems scripted by some genius poet. But more heartrending than anything a poet might write, because of the overwhelming reality of this seemingly unstoppable “madness.”
3. HUBERT SELBY JR./IT’LL BE BETTER TOMORROW, this documentary on my old friend and mentor is a little off when it comes to a few of the talking heads (of which I am briefly one)—some of them seem hardly to have known him and just included because they’re famous—but there are extended scenes of Selby talking, being interviewed, living his life, reading from his work (as part of an un-credited reading series Eve Brandstein and I ran for almost eight years in L. A., which Selby read at almost every week), and those scenes of the man himself are beyond anything the rest of us could add to the picture. He was a unique and incredible human being. It’s already available on DVD in Europe, where he seems to have been much more appreciated (his death made the front pages in Paris and London and Tokyo, not here) and will be available in the U. S. next month. I already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I missed the piece on Selby. I watch HBO all the time, for Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, etc. Well, at least they'll be playing it again some time.

Reading Selby and John Rechy when teen-aged had a pretty big effect on me. It also gave me a context for the reliable experience during those years that if I stood on a NYC streetcorner for a few minutes, I would get propositioned by a man. I never took any of them up on it, but at least I knew I could always make a living if I had to, and what would be involved.

Just part of what it means to be a pretty boy. Except for its gay manifestations, I don't know that there's been much recognition of the pretty boy. I know you must have been one. Has anybody written about the heterosexual pretty boy?

Doodle

Lally said...

The Selby decumentary hasn't been on TV yet, I saw it at a screening in Manhattan, and there've been ones in others cities, but like I said it's for sale already on dvd in Europe and you can pre-buy it on Amazon, where it's supposed to start shipping in March or April. As for the hetero "pretty boy" thing, there's definitely been some writing on that, but I'll have to think where, besides here and there in my own early work.

Lally said...

PS Doodle, did you see my Selby post, it was one of my first, it can be found under the Spirituality category up top there on the right. Lal

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Lols, I got confused by the first two being HBO documentaries.

Incidentally, I still think Ron Karenga was working for the CIA, and that the Panthers were absolutely right about the dead-end of cultural nationalism.

I read your piece on Selby. Let's see what I can remember to respond to.

Cool World (the original) was definitely an excellent flick. Along similar lines, the Brazilian flicks Pixote (Babenco's first) and the recent City of God are tremendous too. Burroughs' Wild Boys sure was prescient. And did you ever see Mixed Blood? I think it's made by Paul Morrissey, but my memory is getting increasingly unreliable.

While I have some regard for Bakshi, I seem to recall feeling that his treatment of Fritz the Cat didn't fulfill the potential of the underlying material.

It's hard to picture Selby as serene and monk-like. I guess if you manage to survive being so desperately the opposite of those characteristics, you can only evolve away from them.

By innate inclination now remunerated as a Legal Aid lawyer, I have always tended to the non-judgmental. The only people I find it impossible to empathize with are those who have power and abuse it to bully others, usually with the self-righteousness from which all murders by the million derive. The transgressions of those without power almost always stem from that status itself, so where's the blame?

At the same time, and perhaps precisely because I don't pass judgment on people, I feel perfectly justified to defend me and mine when and if I must. The only judgment involved in such acts is pragmatic, and those judgments are required by life. As I said to a client of mine who beat up an old lady he had known his whole life, and a few years later tried to cut off the head of a woman who threatened him, "Bob, if those women had been close to me, I might have had to put a cap in you. But they weren't," so let's get to fighting the system. (I didn't actually say that corny last part.)

I didn't have any problems reading Selby and the other Beats---although I think it's kind of difficult to sit down and read through Burroughs' LSD & heroin-fueled gay fantasies like Naked Lunch et al. (As opposed to his book Junkie, which in my experience stands alone as an expression of that state of mind.) One of the only books in my life that I remember starting and then discontinuing was Lawrence's Women In Love (I think). I just couldn't work up any interest in what happened to the people getting my attention.

Well, let me not go on as long as your Selby entry, which I did enjoy reading. Pretty cool, meeting Bakshi and Selby like that. Although of course the blow could make you feel that this was simply your due. Hollywood in the '80s! Some of the decadence (in traditional terms) of this particular empire at its most focused.

Doodle