Sunday, March 25, 2007

WOMEN ACTORS

A lot of women actors I know prefer “actor” to “actress” thus…

Anyway, before I get to the list(s) I mentioned might be next (work that you dug as a kid and don’t now, or didn’t get as a kid and do now) I realized in my “women artists” alphabet lists I hadn’t included actors, so here ‘tis, with the usual caveats, including the fact that some letters brought up several equally favorite actors, like “R” where my first thought was Vanessa Redgrave, but my second and third thoughts were Jamie Rose and Gina Rowlands, Or “W” I thought immediately of Alfre Woodard, but almost as immediately of Theresa Wright, and Kate Winslett. Or “M” Marilyn Monroe, Helen Mirren, Jeanne Moreau, Hayley Mills, etc. There’s many parallel alphabet universes.

ALLEN, KAREN
BLANCHETT, CATE
CONNELLY, JENNIFER
DENCH, JUDI
E (?)
FOSTER, JODIE
GARBO, GRETA
HEPBURN, KATHERINE
IRVING, AMY
JOLIE, ANGELINA
KIKUCHI, RINKO
LEIGH, JENNIFER JASON
MONROE, MARILYN
NEWTON, THANDIE
O’HARA, MAUREEN
PENN, ROBIN WRIGHT
QUINLAN, KATHLEEN
REDGRAVE, VANESSA
STANWYCK, BARBARA
THOMPSON, EMMA
ULLMANN, LIV
VERDU, MARIBEL
WOODARD, ALFRE
X (?)
YOUNG, SEAN
ZABRISKIE, GRACE

4 comments:

RJ Eskow said...

I still have a soft spot for Eve Marie Saint ....

Lally said...

And me. Ever since first seeing ON THE WATERFRONT as a kid and falling in love with her (as well as being changed forever by Brando's performance in that).

Nina said...

Two of my favorites are Patricia Clarkson and Frances McDormand.

Anonymous said...

Actor and doctor. Hmm. No one is called Doctoress. Even so, it is annoying to me to hear about women winning best "actor" awards. Don't the Oscars still call it "best actress?"