Monday, April 21, 2008

MOVIES WITH MALE NAMES, AND MORE

Got woke up the past few nights by people in various kinds of trouble. One I had to go out to help at 3AM. It wasn’t easy to get back to sleep so I decided, what the heck, why not follow the last post’s alphabet list with one of movies with male names for titles (including last names since some men, more than women I think, are sometimes known more by their last names alone).

Then I didn’t get a chance to post it, and when last night brought more distress calls (must be the moon) I decided to go ahead and do movie titles with both male and female names in them, so here’s both:

ANTWONE FISHER
BILLY ELLIOT
CAL
DONNIE BRASCO
ELMER GANTRY
FRANKENSTEIN
GIGOT (I think it was called, a Jackie Gleason tour de force of his sad soul character only in Paris as I remember it, with his usual over the top sentimentality but nonetheless unique genius)
HARVEY
IVANHOE (a boyhood favorite)
JESSE JAMES (the Henry Fonda original one)
KAFKA (I’m still not sure what I think of this flick, but it is a tour de force of some kind)
LUCAS
MARTY
NED KELLY
OTHELLO (Orson Welles Herculean effort to make this move makes it worthy alone, but his peculiar genius, which sometimes I find aggravating, is still so unique, it’s mesmerizing) and OLIVER! (the 1960’s musical)
PETER PAN (the 1950s Disney version) and PIXOTE (which I think is the boy’s name in one of my all time favorite flicks, though not for everyone, as I found out when I recommended this masterpiece of Brazilian realism to friends)
Q?
RAY
SERPICO
TOM, DICK AND HARRY (great old Ginger Rogers flick with the young(er) Burgess Meridith)
ULYSSES (The 1950s’ Kirk Douglas Hollywood epic version of Homer, but still fun to watch)
VALMONT
WILLY WONKA (the original)
X?
Y?
ZELIG

For an alphabet list of movies with male plus female names for title, I had a harder time, and was groping for flicks I don’t even like (like GLEN OR GLENDA, voted the worst movie ever made or TOM & VIV, one of the most depressing) so I opted for a list of top ten, being the only ten I could think of!:

1) DAVID AND LISA (a favorite when it came out c. 1961?)
2) ELEANOR AND FRANKLIN (the great Jane Alexander)
3) FANNY AND ALEXANDER (maybe my favorite Ingmar Bergman flick)
4) HAROLD AND MAUDE (great performances)
5) JULES AND JIM (oh what an impact it had)
7) MIN AND BILL (early talkie with Wallace Beery and Marie Dressler at their best)
8) PAT AND MIKE (slightly sexist, but one of the best Tracy/Hepburn movies)
9) ROBIN AND MARION (Audrey Hepburn and Sean Connery, ‘nuff said)
10) SAMSON AND DELILAH (the bible as only Cecille B. DeMille, and Victor Mature, could do it)

5 comments:

Jamie Rose said...

you are a maniac.

xo
Jame

Tom King said...

How about Sid and Nancy for both male and female?

Does X-Men count?

Tom King

Lally said...

SID AND NANCY certainly would fit, though it's another movie that's depressing as hell. Great performances though.

AlamedaTom said...

Well, "Harvey" for "H" is nice, but man you cannot choose that over for "Hud," one of the greatest movies ever made. I'm sure you must have forgotten about it. Check out the post on my blog about "Hud." Just click on the "Coolbirth" link on Lally's blog.

~ tom

Lally said...

You're so right man, how could I forget HUD?