Wednesday, July 9, 2008

DIPALMA POEM DISSECTED

Here's one of the great things about the internet. Some guy I think in Belgium (but English?) has a blog on which he examines a short poem by Ray DiPalma. One of my favorites by the way.

He doesn't know Ray, he just likes his work and has been reading it and thinking about it for a while, obviously. He takes Ray's poem apart and examines every aspect of it as closely and carefully as he's able (and he's pretty able) and comes to some really interesting, as well as entertaining, conclusions.

His use of his close reading skills reminds me of the kind of passion Ray and I and other young poets in my youth bought to the task of reading and trying to understand poetry and also explain and justify our favorites.

Some of his observations and the connections and conclusions he makes of them may seem farfetched to some, but to me, they seem insightful as well as enlightening—and fun.

I hope you see what I mean if you check it out.

No comments: