Tuesday, September 16, 2008

FROZEN RIVER

Incredible.

My old friend Michael O’Keefe is right, Melissa Leo’s performance is Oscar worthy. And so is her co-star Misty Upham’s. But so is everyone else’s performance in this film, including Michael as the state trooper.

In fact, this gets my first nomination for best ensemble of the year. Even the not yet walking baby was perfect! (The only exception might be Mark Boone Junior who has a couple of moments when his bad guy is too over-the-top for me.)

The story had me guessing where it was going and holding my breath half the time. Written and directed by Courtney Hunt, it has that little independent movie edginess and reality that can sometimes seem precious but in this case just seems true.

The performances are so compelling, and the story so satisfying despite the sometimes hardened perspective of the characters, the movie opened my heart and gave me that satisfying kick of a great flick on top of the pleasure of watching great film acting.

If it’s anywhere near you, I’d check it out, or rent it as soon as it’s available on DVD. FROZEN RIVER—in my Oscar picks.

No comments: