Wednesday, February 16, 2011

GEORGE SHEARING R.I.P.

A little under the weather again, but wanted to note George Shearing's passing. I caught him live several times when I was young and playing some piano myself and was always impressed with the fact that this blind, white, Brit could not only swing, but he had an original technique that was always recognizable. He lived a long time, which I'm happy to also note. May he rest in, well not peace so much as some mellow swinging jazz club in the sky.

I couldn't find any live shows from back when I was going to see him, but here's a recording of his most famous composition:

1 comment:

Tom said...

I saw the Quintet in London probably late 1950s. This looks around the 50s sometime: I like the comments particularly the is it F or Fsharp one?.. best, Tom