Sunday, April 1, 2018

AN OLD POEM [INCLUDED IN MY SOON TO BE RELEASED LIFETIME COLLECTION: ANOTHER WAY TO PLAY]

APRIL FOOL’S DAY 1975

The day came on bright and shiny;

I didn’t know what to say.
Spring finally here but
on April Fool’s Day?

Does that mean more winter tomorrow?
Does it matter? Inside I feel tiny
watching my friends separate again, everywhere,

or the tv letting me know it’s not over page124image1604480 page124image1635056 page124image1632560 page124image3672928 page124image3673136 page124image3673344
over there,
or my special ignorance,
the dumbness only I can confront,
but still don’t know how to:
not meditation,
not revolution,
not androgyny or drag in any of its forms,

not even poetry,
not even spring.
In my heart there are shelves
and on the shelves

there are too many books
and too many of the books are worn out
or boring or impossible to understand.
And in my hand?
Those little hearts
the poems that
even when dumb, are sacred.
I’m glad we all aren’t naked:
it’s not the sixties anymore.
I want to wear nice clothes
and carry on my life behind closed doors.
I want to sit with the rich
or hustling poor and still be myself.
I want to make my kids secure.
I want to share with them
what joy a good night’s sleep
with bright and shiny morning
can bring to the heart—
the chance to start
again. 

No comments: