Sunday, January 27, 2008

CHRISTOPHER ALLPORT R.I.P.

You may have heard about the freak avalanches that took the lives of three skiers over the past few days in California.

Freak because the ski resorts where they happened usually have to manufacture snow. They’re such minor mountains and so far South, avalanches are almost unheard of there.

But after a rare and sudden three feet of snow last week, conditions were not normal, and even seasoned off trail skiers like my friend, the actor Chris Allport, were taken by surprise.

His body was recovered yesterday, but his loss will be felt for years to come.

Chris has been described in news reports of his death, as a “character actor.” It’s not clear what the media means by that label, and I always find it suspect. If it means actors who play a lot of different characters, well, that’s what actors do, so that includes every actor.

If it means actors who drastically change their appearance from role to role, as Di Niro and Dustin Hoffman and Charlize Theron and George Clooney and, again, most actors have done at least once in their careers, well, we’re back to talking about actors in general.

I think what they often mean is “not a star”—someone who plays supporting roles more than leads, most often because they don’t fit the stereotype of “leading men” and “ladies.”

Though Chris worked a lot and most often in supporting roles, he was as handsome and charming as any “star,” and he had the kind of charismatic, warm smile that could melt your heart, like only a few stars possess.

He was also a terrific singer and guitar player and writer. He often brought along his guitar to parties and other gatherings and not only entertained those present, but got them to shed their inhibitions or cool poses and sing along to old rock’n’roll and folk and whatever was called for.

He was married to an old friend of mine, a beautiful and fine poet and writer. A marriage that always seemed so romantic and loving it was much admired, and probably envied, by those who knew them.

Their modest home, in Santa Monica, is one of those old-California-style bungalows that always made an Easterner like me feel like I was in a movie just being in it. But the most obvious characteristic of the place is how welcoming it always was, to friends and strangers alike.

They have a beautiful boy, just a tad older than my youngest, born in Santa Monica, where Chris's family were some of the first people he knew. My little guy’s mother reminded me that we have a video somewhere in which their little boy, hardly big enough to know how to walk let alone talk, when asked who his favorite singer is shouts “Bob Dylan!” They are those kind of folks.

The hearts of everyone who knew Chris, and Susan and their son and Chris's older son, are broken by this tragedy.

Any sudden unexpected death is painful, and all deaths suck for someone left behind. If anything good can be made from this tragic passing, it’s the years that Chris had with his beautiful family, and the memories they will always have. And the fact that he went out doing one of the things he loved almost as much as his family.

For the rest of us, his handsome face and beautiful smile will live on in the movies and TV shows he was a part of, even the ones where the roles required him to not smile or look so handsome. Small consolation for his family, but something for his friends to hold on to.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I read about him, he was a real ski enthusist. He wrote an artile about the joys of out of bounds skiing a year or so ago and obviously loved the incredable thrill of skiing the steep and deep. I suspect if your friend had been able to choose the way he exited this world, that skiing would have been near the top.

My sympathy to you and the family.

Anonymous said...

Skiing out of bounds is irresponsible. Especially if you have a family and a young child. For the narcissistic thrill of doing something of which he was not qualified, he paid with his life. I hope people don't lionize what he did as cool. It was foolish and ultimately demonstrated he lacked the expertise he had had beeen shouting to everyone that he had for years.

Lally said...

Pretty self-righteous criticism there anonymous. I don't know that Chris was skiing "out of bounds"—I assumed from one report I heard that he was "off trail" but others I read were not so clear. I'm afraid I ride a bicycle sometimes with my young boy and I don't wear a helmet, and, as a matter of fact, I ride in cars without a helmet and walk without one even though I take blood thinners and if I were to fall and hit my head it could cause serious internal bleeding. But then I have lost many friends and girlfriends and a wife and siblings and all kinds of people to all kinds of freak accidents and illnesses that could have been avoided if all saftey measures were followed. Sonny Bono was an experienced skiier on an authorized trail when he died wasn't he? Or that Kennedy who died skiing? Let's not cast the first stone anonymous, let's lament the death of a good man who perhaps made an error in judgement, or was just a victim of circumstances beyond his control. Unless you think we should all strap ourselves into an easy chair in front of the TV and never take any chances in life.

Pattie Lee Pierce said...

Thank you Michael, for your beautiful and succinctly expressed sentiments regarding Christopher. I was there the night my best friend laid eyes on Chris, as he was performing on stage in a play. From her seat in the audience, she passionately exclaimed that's the man I'm going to marry!"...and she did. And yes, I am one of those you mentioned who admired and envied their relationship.
Your friend,
Pattie Lee Pierc

Anonymous said...

Michael, you've written a beautiful memory of your friend..it was all over the papers here in Los Angeles...suzanne b.g.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this heartfelt article on Chris Allport. I would like to add that my heart goes out to Chris's eldest son Andrew as well, who you failed to mention. ALL his family and loved ones should have our sympathy at this difficult time.

Lally said...

You're absolutely right. An oversight on my part since I was remembering the days of my own little guy's time with their little guy. It's been corrected.

Wayan and Richard said...

Lally,

Chris & I were roommates in prep school & partners in crime way back when. Lots of stories to tell...We'd stayed in touch from afar as my wife and I live between Bali, her homeland, and New Hampshire. Occasionally saw him in Sanat Monica when passing through. We're in Bali now but I'd like to send something to Susan & Mason and Andrew. If you have time please send me contact info...Dick Nevell

Anonymous said...

Michael,

I had pleasure of representing Chris commercially for the last ten years. He was a brilliant actor and an amazing person. I have received at least fifty calls from casting directors and other actors expressing their condolences. Chris was a very loved man. I feel so fortunate to have had him as a client, but I truly feel blessed to have had him as my friend.

Tina Kiratsoulis
Flick Commercials

Dave Law said...

I met Chris in 2006 when he was in Edinburgh for the fringe festival. I was running an open mic night at a bar and Chris turned up and asked to play.

We started talking and he mentioned that he was in Edinburgh doing a show (which he was plugging very enthusiastically all night!). just before he went on stage, the entire cast from his show, including Jack Kehler turned up to watch him. Needless to say, with the help of half a dozen actors, the night turned into a huge success with much singing and dancing as Chris played some amazing songs.

Later on my friend arrived and I introduced Chris to her and mentioned that he was an actor from LA. My friend, who is a huge X Files fan immediately recognised him from an episode he was in, later that evening she had plucked up the courage to ask him if he really was that X files character and lo and behold, he was! She was delighted!

The next day, Chris invited us back to the apartment he and his family were renting and we spent the night singing songs and jamming. It was a fantastic night and one I will never forget.

I am so sad that I never got to see Chris again after those three weeks in August 2006 but he will remain in mine and I'm sure my friends memories forever. The beautiful thing about Chris was that he made so much time for us, and was just so genuine and kind. My thoughts go out to his family and to his young son (who also had a turn at my open mic night).

Rest in peace Chris.