Friday, August 14, 2009

LES PAUL R.I.P.

I remember when I was a kid, I had a crush on Mary Ford, Les Paul's wife and musical partner back then. When they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show to perform their hit version of "How High the Moon," my sisters and me argued over whether there was another singer and guitar player behind the curtain giving them that unique sound of theirs. We didn't yet know about the multi-tracking Les invented (or the famous Gibson Les Paul guitar that we discovered not long after).

The man was one of a kind. The NY Times has this video on their site of him only months ago. A classy guy right to the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lal--The website NPR.org has a tape of an episode of Marian McPartland's radio show, "Piano Jazz," with Les Paul. It's a great hour of tunes and conversation.
Bob B.