Sunday, January 17, 2016

ANOMALISA

The small print up there says ANOMALISA is "A Masterpiece" according to hip sources like Rolling Stone and The LA Weekly. Well, okay, Rolling Stone isn't so hip anymore, if it ever was, and The LA Weekly once reviewed a play of mine by declaring I'd learned my foul language from Quentin Tarantino, my letter to the editor never published, explaining that I'd been condemned on the floor of Congress in 1982 for the foul language in my poetry and decades earlier in reviews and responses in and out of print.

All this by way of introduction to my apology to the friends I talked into going to see ANOMALISA with me last night. I had heard it was a great quirky "masterpiece" by the brilliant Charlie Kaufman, whose earlier brilliant quirky masterpieces I mostly appreciated (like ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND and INSIDE JOHN MALKOVICH). But, turns out, the emperor, or in this case, Chalie Kaufman, has no clothes (at least this time out). 

Highly unrecommended.

No comments: