Wednesday, February 28, 2007

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK

I was talking about rock’n’roll movies with my oldest son and thought of another list, top 24 rock’n’roll flicks, so we came up with this one, some his, some mine, some both of ours.

1. AMERICAN HOT WAX
2. ALMOST FAMOUS
3. LAST WALTZ
4. A HARD DAY’S NIGHT
5. QUADROPHENIA
6. HAIL! HAIL! ROCK’N’ROLL
7. SPINAL TAP
8. DON’T LOOK BACK
9. MONTEREY POP
10. WOODSTOCK
11. THAT THING YOU DO
12. THE COMMITMENTS
13. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
14. STOP MAKING SENSE
15. KING CREOLE
16. PURPLE RAIN
17. THE DOORS
18. THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
19. LA BAMBA
20. SID AND NANCY.
21. FILMORE
22. ROCK ROCK ROCK!
23. THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT
24. ROCK PRETTY BABY

Then I got obsessive and thought of an alphabetical one, which reminded me of several flicks we left off the 24 hour one above, though I’m at a loss for V and Z. Any ideas?

AMERICAN HOT WAX
BAMBA, LA
COMMITMENTS, THE
DON’T LOOK BACK
ELVIS, THAT’S THE WAY IT IS
FILMORE
GIRL CAN’T HELP IT, THE
HARD DAY’S NIGHT, A
IMAGINE
JAILHOUSE ROCK
KING CREOLE
LAST WALTZ
MONTEREY POP
NASHVILLE
O LUCKY MAN
PERFORMANCE
QUADROPHINIA
ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK
SPINAL TAP
THAT THING YOU DO
U2 RATTLE AND HUM
V
WOODSTOCK
XANADU
YELLOW SUBMARINE
Z

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy! Monstruous performances. I was 9 when I saw this with all the kids from my nabe. (Momma had not previewed it obviously.) Came home with my head spinning, and the day made all the more surreal as they called my best friend Lori into the house to tell her that her Grandma had died that day. Forever wed in my mind is that flick and the sound of my poor friend wailing in the hallway.

Anonymous said...

I haven't actually seen it and can't vouch for its quality... but Velvet Goldmine is meant to be pretty good...

I just discovered your stuff on Literature Online while revising Andrew Marvell for university exams... What a great distraction! I love the sonnets. I found them by searching for any sonnet with the c-word in it. Neat. You only have one rival!

Will read more when I have time.

Rahul, UK