Thursday, September 13, 2007

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND

Here's a photograph taken by Rain Worthington c. 1979. She is known mostly as a composer, but back then she was also a professional photographer, though she took this one as a friend of all of ours. It's Doug Lang, Terence Winch in the middle, and me in shades that I assume belonged to one of them and I put on as a goof. We were all doing the work we are still doing, our various "arts"—for the three of us in the photo, mostly poetry, for Rain her music. (Terry was also heavily involved in music, as always, in fact Doug is wearing a tee shirt with the logo of Terry's then band "Celtic Thunder.") How fortunate that Rain was there to snap us in our poetic glory. And yes, it does seem like only yesterday, and then again, not.

Woops, according to Doug Lang's poetry blog it was 1978. He has a different version of this same moment on his "Lally" post (the link is on the list to the right).

3 comments:

douglang said...

Michael, I think that I estimated the year as being 1978, although it might have been 1977. I moved into that apartment at the Dupont East in February 1977. The shades were mine, I'm sure.

I remember that Rain was doing photographic work for SNL back then.

I always really liked this picture and the others in that series.

Seven said...

Beautiful. Inside and outside; then and now.

Anonymous said...

You look older in that photo than you do now. It's as if you are living Kierkegaard's quote: Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards. Somehow your innocence increases with your every experience, Lally. What's your secret?