Wednesday, December 19, 2007

NEW LIST

Falling asleep list last night I came up with a new alphabet list: PEOPLE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE KNOWN.

Interestingly, I had no trouble coming up with the usual problem letters like Q (Mike Quill was a great Irish-born New York City labor leader, head of the transit workers union back when most subway workers were Irish, the way I remember him, he never backed down and was a terrific speaker, tough, articulate, and compassionate, one of my first political heroes when I was a kid) and Z, but it took me a while to think of an N and R and the U and Y (I don’t think I’d want to hang out with Yeats) threw me.

Assisi, Saint Francis of
Behan, Brendan
Coltrane, John
Dolphy, Eric
Einstein
Franklin, Ben
Gelhorn, Martha
Hesse, Eva
Ives, Charles
Jefferson, Thomas
King Jr., Martin Luther
Lincoln, Abraham
Monk, Thelonious
Novalis
O’Hara, Frank
Parker, Charlie
Quill, Mike
Roosevelt, Eleanor
Stanwyk, Barbara
Tracy, Spenser
U
Vinci, Leonardo Di
Whitman, Walt
X, Malcolm
Y
Zapata

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must confess I only recognised 2/3 of the people on the list, but Mike Quill was something else. He has colorful, entertaining and a giant of a man,in a very short body. He was the consumate union man. Quill would always threaten a transit strike that would get stettled on New Years Eve, when he and mayor Robt. Wagner Jr. would sit down and settle things. Things went smoothly until that amateur incompetent mayor John Lindsy came along and messed things up. I remember Lindsy as one of the worst NYC mayors ever. He set NYC on the road to ruin for the next 30years or so.

Tore Claesson said...

A new twist. Cool.

Harryn Studios said...

very cool michael - kept me up a bit last night thinking of 'u' and 'y' though - my brain started thinking of the list in terms of a painting [last supper kind of thing] - a dinner party - for the most part, i think it would have been a great time - should leonardo do the seating arrangement ?

Lally said...

Yeah, Utrillo always looked too uptight. I had a hard time choosing between Brendan Behan and William Blake. Blake seemed like he might be a heavy character to hang with, whereas Behan was obviously his own nonstop party.