Wednesday, February 4, 2015

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND

Looking at these photos from 1979-80 when the composer Rain Worthington and I shared a loft with my two older children in what was not yet "Tribeca" before Battery City even existed and the area was still mostly empty lofts with only a handful of pioneers breaking the law to live in some of them (we had 1800 square feet with a toilet in the hall and enough room for my kids to roller-skate around the place and for us to hang our laundry on lines we strung across some of it and for Indian Larry to store a motorcycle he was working on so would stop by most days to do that etc.). We had some great parties there. But I don't have any photos of them, just a handful inside the loft including these below:
Rain in front of her piano in the loft. I can't remember if I took this or if she did (she also worked hand coloring the photos used for the opening credits for Saturday Night Live and sometimes the substitute photographer for the show).
A shot she took of me in front of one of the loft's windows on the Duane Street side, it was the corner of the building with the windows on Greenwich Street side, all huge, looking out at a vacant lot full of debris and beyond that the broken end of the no-longer-in-use elevated Westside highway (we and others in the hood used it to sunbathe on etc.) and beyond that the river and orange sunsets over Jersey.
Another shot of Rain either by me or her used for a card sent out to announce one of her early concerts
Me again with Duane Street outside the open loft window. I have some other photos of my kids in the loft but haven't scanned them so will have to find them and post them sometime. But these just got me thinking about those days and how full of creativity and cheap living they were.

4 comments:

tpw said...

Rain invented herself even more than most of us do. Great photos. I remember how cool that abode was.

Jane DeLynnquent said...

I remember it well. But you forgot " art on the beach"

Lally said...

good point tp, and yours too Jane, the "beach" started being created after we got there as I remember it, as they brought in landfill for what would become a good part of Battery City, or where it now stands ... they had a fence to keep trespassers out but it didn't stop neighborhood folks from jumping over and having nighttime beach parties etc. before the actual building began, which was after I moved out of there in '81 as I remember it...

Julien Poirier said...

Very nice to see these. I was just today reading "The Rain Trilogy" in IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE, and it's a treat to put snapshot faces to this great piece of writing. Thanks for posting.