Sunday, March 15, 2015

ANOTHER GREAT NIGHT OF MUSIC

So last night in the city at Webster Hall to see EDITH POP (with my oldest son Miles on bass) give another terrific show, tight and right, and do a little dancing (I kept thinking how can I be the only male in this crowd to be moving more than my head to the music, especially since I was twice as old as many and even more than twice for most of the rest).

If you ever hear of EDITH POP playing anywhere you can get to, then get to it and you will see one of the most compelling live acts around. Last night it hit me that the front woman for the band puts on a show that's like a mashup of Lydia Lunch and Iggy Pop. And speaking of compelling live acts, the band they were opening for, the main act of the three bands playing, CAPSULA, was fantastic. The show they gave last night was pure punk rock by a stripped down dynamic trio (guitar, drums and bass) that never let up.

I tried to find some live shows online that reflected the power and speed of the music they made last night but nothing captured the experience, so you'll just have to catch them live sometime too. That might be difficult since they all live in Bilbao, Spain (though they're originally from Argentina, and by the bad ass female bassist's looks I'd say she might descend from some of the original inhabitants of that country).

The show they gave last night was like a distillation of the best shows you could see at the height of CBGB's punk scene, pure power, attitude and commitment to the spirit of the music no holds barred. One of my new favorite music makers: CAPSULA.
[found one that's closer to last night's performance]

2 comments:

AlamedaTom said...

Totally blistering. Thanks for pulling my coat. I admit I had never heard of Capsula, but now I'm a fan. Got me to thinking how amazing a great power trio can be. You have to step back and wonder how the hell so much power and tension can be generated by only three souls. Of course I speak of the obvious, such as Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nirvana and such. But lesser touted power trios abound. Take for instance Motorhead doing "Ace of Spades," which you can check out at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

~ Willy

Lally said...

great link Willy, thanks, and I[d love to see a list of the top ten power trios...