Sunday, August 9, 2015

TRAINWRECK

Amy Schumer has been getting a lot of attention lately, and her movie TRAINWRECK even more, some of it because that was what was showing in the most recent deadly movie theater attack, but also because her humor is being touted as outrageous in a new way.

Not so, from my perspective, but nonetheless, this movie, which she wrote and stars in, is full of laughs. Some of the jokes are the kind of frat boy bodily-parts-and-functions humor that the director Judd Apatow has made so popular in his films and since BRIDESMAIDS women have been allowed to do too, occasionally.

But even though some of the jokes made me cringe, others had me doubled over and in tears. Schumer pulls off this feat in a more or less one woman show with not just obvious sex and bathroom humor, but with more subtle scenes that involve a poignantly insightful sense of redemption. And who doesn't like a redemption story with crude humor?

I would have thought the answer would have been me, but turns out I enjoyed this film very much, including the performances by her co-stars Bill Hader, Brie Larson, Colin Quinn and LeBron James. Let me know what you think.

No comments: