Sunday, December 6, 2015

HOLLY WOODLAWN R.I.P.

This the way I like to remember her. I only met her a few times but loved her sense of humor and sometimes pained but exuberant joie de vivre, a phrase I've never before typed but it seems most appropriate.

Not only was she a Warhol superstar (see TRASH for her first starring role, if I remember correctly), and immortalized in the first lines of Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side" (I lived in a lesbian feminist commune in DC when that record came out and it was an endlessly played favorite (I had also experimented with drag on a dare, had some confrontations with bigots and wished I had Holly's sharp tongue and quick wit (instead of my fallback murder mouth macho defensiveness))), she was a transgender pioneer.

Condolences to all her friends and fans, her spirit lives on.

[PS: Here's a fair obit]

No comments: