Saturday, March 19, 2016

THE BLACK DAHLIA

I missed this film when it first came out ten years ago, so I thought I'd catch up with it tonight when I saw it was playing on one of my cable channels. What a mistake.

Directed by Brian DiPalma, who is considered a great movie maker (full disclosure, I and some friends once spent an evening at a party with him in Hollywood, and then even three or four of us joined him at the house he was renting in the Hollywood hills afterward to stay up until dawn talking, though he didn't contribute much to the conversation), totally strikes out with this flick.

Despite some great actors (but also some terrible ones, or at least terribly miscast). There seemed to be way too much attention paid to production values (sets, costumes, etc.) than to a coherent script, or any useful directing of the actors. If you haven't seen it, don't.

No comments: