Wednesday, July 6, 2016

LATE NIGHT MINI-ANTI-RANT

When I used to get angry with myself for doing something I, or others, considered stupid or self-destructive or unintentionally harmful to others or mostly just a mistake, my old friend Hubert Selby Jr. used to say, "You're just a people, Michael." It was a great comfort to me, and it comforts me tonight when I see all the hurt and damage my fellow people are doing to themselves and each other. I know there's a bit, or sometimes a lot, of the asshole in me, like in everyone I've ever encountered, as well as some good, but it gets pretty difficult these days not to see everything as "black or white" or "right or wrong" or "good or bad"...but Selby also recommended I give those judgmental terms up...a high spiritual bar I haven't successfully reached yet.

No comments: