Friday, April 6, 2018

CECIL TAYLOR R.I.P.


from THE VILLAGE SONNETS

Sblibby came into OBIES one afternoon with
a short dark man wearing thick eyeglasses
on his intense angry face. It was Cecil Taylor,
the piano-playing composer innovator changing
jazz. When I extended my hand to slip him
some skin he curled his lip in distaste. Sblib
didn’t notice as he raved about me, suggesting
Taylor come to THE WHITE WHALE where
I could display my chops. Surprisingly he did.
There I started in on my version of Ahmad
Jamal’s take on SURREY WITH THE FRINGE
ON TOP, only even more up-tempo so even
more difficult. But after only a few bars Taylor
got up and walked out without saying a word.


(C) Michael Lally 2016 

How fortunate I was to even be around him back in the day (the above occurred in 1961), let alone have this unique musical giant give me his attention no mater how briefly...

[here's a link to his NY Times obit]

No comments: