Monday, July 30, 2018

RON DELLUMS: REST IN POWER

Ron Silliman's tribute on FB says it better than I could:

"RIP Ron Dellums
This man had an enormous positive impact on my life, getting me released from the legal obligation of conscientious objector's service after I'd been illegally inducted in 1972 (I stayed doing the work in the prison movement for another 6 years because it was good work, but not having the Selective Service to worry about was huge). I once heard Nelson Mandela say (at the Oakland Coliseum) that the only reason he was still alive was Ron Dellums. It was Dellums who recognized that the student community and the black community in Berkeley had the same interest with regards to Vietnam and the draft, and in that observation he transformed East Bay politics forever."


No comments: