Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A POEM FROM MY 15-YEAR-OLD GRANDCHILD


I Am From… By Eli “Deak” Hotaling I am from sun-damaged skin Freckles and straw hats From tractors and dirt And fresh tomatoes I am from music and Ridges of chosen family From barefoot and dancing I am from small streams Trees and overgrown lawns From concrete and brick And the pretty cityscapes of Jersey I am from rainbows and cheers From black and plaid Parades of people and glitter That takes forever to wash off I am from darkness And false words From tomboys and girlie-girls I am from music Loud, fast, and angry I am from brush strokes And pencil sketches From iron-on patches And D.I.Y videos I am from candles, incense And crystals charging under the full moon I am from black cats And “fight back” From “stand up” And “never back down” I am from marches and protests From outcasts and artists I am from speaking your mind And taking no crap.

No comments: