Wednesday, March 6, 2019

CAROLEE SCHNEEMANN R.I.P.

Carolee Schneemann was a revolutionary force in the art world of the 1960s onward. We became friends in the '70s but I knew of her since the early '60s when I first encountered her performance art. She was notorious for using her body, usually naked, as part of her performances, and I had some notoriety for writing about my body and sexuality graphically and honestly, which she let me know she got and dug. We'd share stories about people we'd expect to be supportive and weren't, like feminists who didn't appreciate what a feminist pioneer she was in her art and the art world. I adored her, appreciated her, admired her, and feel badly now for not keeping in touch with her more. May she rest in peace and paint and whatever else she used over the years to make her amazing creations.

No comments: