Friday, July 12, 2019

JIM BOUTON R.I.P.

I thought the worldwide web was supposed to make everything available, but a lot of things from my life I can't find including the time I was on TO TELL THE TRUTH, somewhere in the late 1970s or 1980 (?), and Jim Bouton was on the panel for that episode.

I remember standing around talking to him and how humorous and unpretentious he was for a guy who was famous at the time. It made me go out and get and read his book, BALL FOUR. Many years later (1990s?) I ran into him in an ice cream store in The Berkshires (Western Mass) and reminded him of the episode and was able to tell him how much I loved that book. And once again he was funny and unpretentious.

Those two experiences left me believing that he was a happy human, well adjusted to his life and the realities of it, good or not so good. I smile whenever I think of him. May he rest in all the smiles he generated, including mine, and his own.

1 comment:

Curtis Faville said...

He did a nice little turn in The Long Goodbye [1973, directed by Robert Altman, with Elliott Gould, Sterling Hayden, Mark Rydell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc.] as the guy who double-crosses Marlow and is shot at the end of the movie, in Mexico, as Gould/Marlow does a jaunty jump-kick to "Hollllllee - wood" . . . .