Tuesday, April 14, 2020

TAKING A WALK IN THE TIME OF COVID-19

Walking through my neighborhood, I'm lulled by the quiet,
the absence of traffic, evoking my 1940s boyhood when cars
were the exception and the pitiable whine of power tools did
not yet exist. The air as clear as memory, and everywhere else
now. The flowers blooming before most trees even have leaves,
the colors brighter in this pristine atmosphere. A masked
someone rides a bike a safe distance from me, followed by a
masked child on a smaller bike followed by a smaller masked
child on a scooter, all crossing a usually busy intersection with
abandon, no car in sight in any direction, and I think what a
blessing that the children will grow up remembering a moment
when the world was quiet and clear and slow as a heartbeat at
rest, not frenetic and polluted, distracted and driven by the
desires and demands of the greedy rulers of that other world.


(C) 2020 Michael Lally

No comments: