Wednesday, July 29, 2020

NICEST ACTORS TO WORK WITH

Internet spam was trying to tempt me into clicking on a link that purported to name the top movie and TV actors who are "jerks"...which prompted me to make this list of my top ten nicest actors I worked with on TV shows and movies (it's spur-of-the-moment, off-the-top-of-my-head, so apologies to those I left out, not intentional):

1. Jimmy Smits (worked with him twice, on L.A. Law where he was a star and I was guesting and he went out of his way to help me after he was already wrapped and could have been gone, and NYPD Blue where I could have contributed to his getting that job as a producer of the show called when they were looking for a replacement for David Caruso, who was causing trouble on set, and asked me who the nicest and easiest-to-work-with actor was and I instantly said Jimmy Smits, which I suspect others they asked agreed with)

2. Susan Dey (was equally generous to me on LA Law)

3. Tracy Nelson (on Father Dowling Mysteries, and despite health issues she was dealing with)

4. Tom Bosley (same show, accepted me like an old friend)

5. Angie Harmon (Law & Order, and whenever I ran into her afterwards, on a set where she was one of the few people who were nice to me)

 6. Catherine Bell (JAG, nice no matter what, including a scene shot beginning almost at dawn and going to evening in a cold warehouse on the high desert during which she was tied up and I was forcing mock alcohol down her throat, a consummate pro and nothing but nice to me)

7. Peter Coyote (Deadwood, instant friendship, with lots in common, on a sometimes difficult set he was always nice)

8. John Carradine (The Nesting, even in old age with health challenges he gave me his attention and support on and off camera)

9. James Remar (White Fang, gruff at times in the face of a difficult dynamic on set, he was nothing but nice to me when he didn't have to be)

10. Tom Cavanaugh (on an episode of Ed, I was fresh from a cancer operation which I did not reveal and had only a few lines but he singled me out saying he knew my poetry because his mother was a poet and a teacher (as I remember it, I think in Canada) and changed the way some others on set were basically ignoring my presence, and never said a word when I gave him a copy of my latest book and signed it to "Ed"!)

there are plenty more but these came to mind first...  


No comments: