Tuesday, December 29, 2020

THIS

Biggest disappointment on my screens in 2020: GOOD LORD BIRD. Was looking forward to the great acting but the script (and some of its direction) sucked. Who decided it would be a good idea to portray Frederick Douglas as a hypocritical, shallow buffoon, and to use Harriet Tubman as a prop for a fictional character's storyline? ...ack.

Most pleasant surprise on my screens in 2020: THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT. It was the most perfectly executed movie/series of the year for me, though not all my friends experienced it that way. I did.

And some runner-up favorites of 2020:

MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM

GIVING VOICE

TRANSHOOD

LOVECRAFT COUNTRY

MAE WEST: DIRTY BLONDE

THE GENTLEMEN

WE'RE HERE

MY BRILLIANT FRIEND

KNIVES OUT


And one other disappointment:

THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

No comments: