Sunday, February 6, 2022

RESPECT

 
Another favorite icon for "Black History Month" (though to me every month is Black history month): Aretha. And though the writing and directing and casting of this movie about her is uneven and inconsistent (e.g. from mostly amazing performances like Hudson's and Forest Whitaker's to un-amazing ones like Marlon Wayans's), all the more reason I feel Jennifer Hudson deserves not only an Oscar nomination, but the award, and any others, especially SAG because despite the failings I see in the movie, Hudson's acting transcends any and all challenges and shortcomings of the film to leave an indelible impact still resonating on my heart and nervous system.

For me, Hudson proves her talent is equal to Franklin's. Though Aretha's genius is one of a kind and her impact on music worldwide changed it in ways only a few singers have, Hudson's voice is equally powerful and dynamic, and she, like Aretha, has full control of even its at times seemingly beyond control passion. Jennifer Hudson has my vote.

No comments: