Tuesday, August 1, 2023

PAUL REUBENS R.I.P.

I didn't know Paul personally, though I was at the same event he was once or twice. But like so many, I adored his performance art, in his early iterations as what would become Pee-wee Herman, and the later full blossoming of that character, and the world of his imagination, in his all-welcome-here TV playhouse, and Pee-wee movies.

My only personal story about him is when I was asked to audition at the last minute for the small role of Sykes in WHITE FANG. I was told that I was up against Paul "Pee-wee" Reubens who had also auditioned for it. It would just be a cameo role for him, but would help show he was versatile enough to do other characters besides Pee-wee. 

Needless to say, I got the role and immediately flew to Alaska where it was being shot. I chose to make the character a wannabe dandy of the time but because of problems on the shoot felt I didn't do my best work. When I saw it at the premiere, and the few times since, all I could think of was: I sure would have loved to see what Reubens would have done with this role.

Rest In Pee-wee Paul, and condolences to family, friends, and fans.

No comments: