Saturday, January 18, 2014

SAG AWARDS

A few quick thoughts on the SAG Awards show:

It's definitely the most streamlined show…

I loved the tribute to Rita Mareno, and though some might have been put off by the theatricality of her mostly singing her acceptance speech, I was moved to tears of joy celebrating the survival of her talent, spirit and energy at 82!

As with The Golden Globes, I think the best actor award should have gone to Chiwetel Ejiofor for 12 YEARS A SLAVE.

But as at the Golden Globes Matthew McCaughney won and once again gave, for my taste, the best acceptance speech of the night…whether prepared or spontaneous, or a mix of both more likely, I thought it brilliantly articulated the major reward of becoming fully a character in a film…

So happy to see Lupita Nyong'o win for her role in 12 YEARS A SLAVE and the right choice I believe…

Jennifer Lawrence's candor and youthful self-consciousness still seems charming to me…

AMERICAN HUSTLE won for best ensemble, which it deserved in many ways, though I was sorry to see THE BUTLER not win anything again, and sorry that AMERICAN HUSTLE winning both the Golden Globe and now the SAG award probably means it will win best picture Oscar and I think 12 YEARS A SLAVE deserves that…but we'll see...

But it was still fun to watch for me…saw some old friends (just on the TV I mean, but old friends from my Hollywood days) and folks I worked with and/or partied with etc. but felt no nostalgia for those days, just happy to be alive and digging all the great work that was done on film in 2013…one of the best years I can remember…

No comments: