Sunday, January 6, 2008

MARK TERRILL

One of my favorite contemporary poets, who wrote one of my favorite books, a small collection of prose poems called BREAD & FISH, has another little collection of prose poems just published, called SOMETHING RED (Stay At Home Press).

Like BREAD & FISH, it is a revelation, There’s an “I do this I do that” Frank O’Hara thing going on, though it’s more “I see this I think that” and the Bukowski grasp of the poetry in the anecdotal, told straight and crisply precise.

But there’s so much more. I could cite tons of other terrific poets whose work Terrill’s compares favorably to, but in the end, his work is unique. I’ve never read anyone quite like him, or known anyone with his extensive resume of wordly-working-man-poet-philosopher experience.

I love the poems in SOMETHING RED, as well as the observations and epiphanies they generate, as I did those in BREAD & FISH. If you can find a copy on the internet of either, or better yet both of these books, I believe you’ll consider yourself lucky you did.

No comments: