Thursday, August 14, 2014

LATE NIGHT MINI PRE-RANT

I'm not gonna yell about the militarization of the police, something that's been going on for decades but accelerated furiously after 9/11 and Bush/Cheney deficit spending on weapons and etc. for local police forces so that now it seems like every small town in the USA, let alone cities, have armor and military helmets and weapons and etc....

I'm not gonna go too deep into how the family of cops I came from starting with my Irish peasant grandfather in his old keystone cops high helmet down to my brother and brother-in-law and cousins and nephews et. al. could handle an unarmed attacker with their billy clubs and just knocked them out...but certainly never pulled their gun on unarmed civilians....

All I want to do is ask whatever happened to tasers? Weren't they supposed to replace billy clubs? Is there no step between strangling to death or putting multiple bullets in the chest or head or backs of unarmed civilians, or even civilians armed with knives etc. ...? I won't even get into how most of these victims seem to be black...

Here's an article that says it all better, in almost as few words, and one devastating photo that says it all... [thanks to my old friend Gene Harris for hipping me to it...]


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

every little town now has a SWAT team ... some "freedom" from fear, eh ?

I think that they get their recruits from already trained killers those returning military men.... and a few women