Saturday, May 1, 2021

JOHNNY CRAWFORD R.I.P.

Not long after I moved to LA in 1982, Landford Wilson's play BALM IN GILEAD had its LA premiere. I missed it, but soon after was asked to replace Johnny Crawford as John The Counterman in the drama. I don't remember why, maybe he got a better paying gig, but I spent several nights watching the play so I could blend in initially with the rest of the cast before a bit at a time making the character mine.

I remembered Crawford from his most famous (and Emmy nominated) role, playing Chuck Connor's kid on the 1950s popular TV show THE RIFLEMAN. In the days before the transition to me in the play, I spent some time with him and he was as sweet and kind as you would expect. I never ran into him again, but never forgot him and am sad to learn that he passed, another victim of Covid-19. Condolences to his family and many fans.

No comments: