Tuesday, March 8, 2022

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY

I've posted this favorite photo before. It's my mother, at the time still Irene Dempsey, and her mother, my grandma Dempsey (maiden name Ann Frank!) who lived with us from when I was three until she died a few years after I left home at 18, and her mother, who died before I was born and I knew as great grandma Ward. I'm guessing by the styles this was the 19teens so my mother, born in 1905 was probably in her early or midteens. I don't know what the pieces of paper represent, but they were all members of the relatively new organization Daughters of the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) meaning they were descendants of veterans who fought for the Union in The Civil War (interestingly the organization ended in the 1970s while the Daughters of the Confederacy is still going!). My mother became the youngest president of the New Jersey chapter of the Daughters of the G.A.R. and was very proud that our pre-Civil War Irish immigrant ancestors fought for the Union.

No comments: