Friday, April 6, 2012

HERE'S TO A QUICK RECOVERY FOR THE BRILLIANT POET AND BLOGGER TOM CLARK


I've written about Tom and his poetry before here, and have had his blog(s) on my recommended lists (to the right somewhere) ever since I discovered them. His main blog, BEYOND THE PALE, is a daily selection of poetry or prose (sometimes his own, thankfully) and photographs or art that is a unique blend of brilliant insight, great taste and original editing that always leaves me feeling like I just attended an abbreviated version of one of the best TED talks.

I'm posting about Tom because I just learned from his wife Angelica that his blog will be on hiatus while he recovers from a car accident. Unfortunately, he wasn't in the car but was crossing the street when an older Asian woman turned the corner and ran right into him.

The accident was so severe they sent for the "fatalities" squad to investigate it, according to a newspaper report. But Tom survived, thankfully, though rushed to the Oakland hospital rather than the one in Berkeley where he was hit, because supposedly they have a better trauma unit (though Angelica said it wasn't a fun experience with victims of gunshot wounds and suicide attempts etc. wailing and crowding the emergency room).

He's home now, though may need a return hospital visit to remove something the MRI or CAT scan showed that they think may be more glass from the car. It was that bad that witnesses were certain Tom was killed.

Let us all send healing thoughts and prayers, and love and gratitude, to Tom Clark, a compellingly enlightening force in the worlds of poetry and blogging whose temporary absence while he heals will leave this fan and friend feeling that something vital and essential is missing in my daily encounters with the world, whether online or in person.

9 comments:

Robert G. Zuckerman said...

sending sending sending.....

-K- said...

That's awful. I was just looking at Beyond the Pale yesterday. I'll have to send him something.

vazambam (Vassilis Zambaras) said...

I just want to say your last sentence says it all.

tpw said...

I agree that Tom's blog is an amazing mix of images and language. He's an important and unique artist. I hope he recovers quickly.

Phoebe said...

Thoughts and best wishes for a quick recovery from Los Angeles.
xo Phoebe

Tom King said...

I hope he recovers quickly. I miss his blog already.

Anonymous said...

We do *all* know Asian women can't drive.

Phoebe said...

Any updates on his condition?
Phoebe

Lally said...

Not yet Phoebe. I'll post it whenever. I think he's not due for the second operation until next week, which as far as I know is just to remove some glass they accidentally stitched in after the accident. But I'm hoping we'll know more after that. The good news is he was able to say what he wanted (to go home) almost immediately after being stitched up, and is home.