Saturday, March 29, 2014

DONALD MCLAUGHLIN ART SHOW

My good friend and neighbor Don McLaughlin's got a new show of his art hanging in the Howard Scott Gallery in Chelsea. if you're in or around that area before the show ends on April 12th, I highly recommend it.

Don has never followed fads or trends or whatever-the-art-world-is-genuflecting-to-at-the-moment jive, but is just a hardworking old style painter and water colorist whose work spans the spectrum from almost figurative to uniquely abstract without demanding categorization or analysis.

Though there is an evocative depth to the imagery when you encounter it in person, the big thrill for me is just being hit with a painterly experience that's personal and individual in a way I find totally refreshing. It renews my love of art, as opposed to art world event-ism.

So, like I said, if you have cause to be in Manhattan before April 12th, take the elevator to the 7th floor at 529 West 20th Street and treat yourself to a pleasant experience.

No comments: