Saturday, January 31, 2015

GOOD NEWS FOR SHOW TUNES

When I was in my late teens and twenties, especially my four years in the military, I often hid my love for great songs from Broadway musicals even though WEST SIDE STORY had had an enormous impact on me and even my writing, but then after I joined the movement for women's and gay rights as the 1970s began, I came out and admitted I loved a lot of show tunes.

This article supports the conclusion that singing show tunes can actually improve the minds of people with dementia and Alzheimers. I love science.

1 comment:

JenW said...

This is what I've read: ( & it's my recap of it so it may not be exactly as studied, but...) Artists, musicians, painters & poets:-) have more reserve in their brain so it's better protected against dementia, since the art in different forms uses different neuronal pathways. Art literally opens the mind-