Thursday, May 29, 2014

THE LITERARY LIFE ADDENDUM

I may have posted this previously, can't remember. But it's a favorite. I have no idea who took the shot, my copy is a slide from which I had this photo made and then scanned it. It's the great film actress Mary Beth Hurt caught reading my book HOLLYWOOD MAGIC. Not sure when, but the book came out in 1982, just after I moved to L.A. and Mary Beth still lived in New York, as I remember it.

I visited her apartment there once when she was dating Kevin Kline, I think, or just afterwards, before she married the director and screenwriter Paul Shrader, and while I was sitting in perhaps that chair, I noticed a big flower pot with a plant in it had words painted on the side and they seemed familiar, so I asked where they were from. She thought I was messing with her but finally realized I wasn't and said they were from a poem of mine.

I no longer remember what they were or which poem, but I remember how happy it made me. I was just at the beginning of the change that would later come from which I would grow into the understanding that it isn't how many people read your work or see your work, or experience your work in whatever way they do, but simply that someone who does, actually gets it. Which Mary Beth did, and for which I am eternally grateful.


3 comments:

Michael Ferri said...

Michael...funny that I should see this posting of yours...I am finally organizing my papers and photos from the GLF days and will send them to the Rainbow History Project which is now under the auspices of the DC Historical Archive so it will be around for awhile... ordered another copy of "It's Not Nostalgia" from Amazon this week which I will include in with my archive material with a written explanation etc. of its relevance to DC GLF....have enjoyed seeing pics of you and your family on facebook....xo...Michael

Lally said...

Thanks Michael. Glad to be a part of that history and yours. My papers are at NYU with much from those days in them. Writing my own take on those days right now just for the record and hopefully will be published in the not too distant future...

tpw said...

At first glance, I thought that was Karen in the photo.