Friday, November 27, 2009

TWO WEEKS TODAY

I had the brain surgery on Friday, Nov. 13th (and yes, I was very aware of the date but thought it would be pretty foolish to postpone such a serious and necessary operation because of superstition).

I never lost the ability to speak normally, nor my appetite. The two things that have been giving me the most pleasure—conversation (though speaking to more than one person at a time is still a challenge) and food.

I still can't read to myself much (a paragraph a day is the limit and I still stumble over words etc.), but a little more than I could just a few days ago. And writing is still very difficult and slow, almost impossible, e.g. I can only do one or two simple e mails a day.

But fortunately, either because of the way my brain is now functioning (or not functioning) I am mostly very contented with and accepting of what might seem like relatively slow progress. It is what it is and I have no power over it. All I can do is be patient with myself, my brain, and with others. And for the most part, I am.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

I'm new to your blog, and stunned by your courage.

I read somewhere once, that when the chips are down and the worst seems to happen to us, there's always work to fall back upon.

To me writing is work and play all rolled up in one and that you have been able to do this on your blog is an achievement, more remarkable than most.

Get well soon.