Thursday, November 25, 2010

THANKS FOR...


My condolences to anyone who lost a loved one since last Thanksgiving, but aside from the sorrow of lives lost or terribly injured, I suspect we all have a lot to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.

Starting with the loved ones who are still here. My parents have been gone for many decades, and I started losing siblings before I was born—out of seven of us there is only one sister and me left. But I am blessed with three terrific children, two very grown and my thirteen-year-old still at home(s, he alternates between his mother's and here with me) and two wonderful grandchildren. Thanks for them, and for all family and friends.

Then comes health—spiritual, mental, physical and financial.

As for the latter, I know these are tough times, I'm broke for the first time in many years. And broke for me isn't like broke for a lot of friends I've known over the years. So I'm thankful for the Democratic Presidents and Congresses that made Social Security possible and protected it from attacks from the Republicans over the decades, and who have done their best to protect pension funds, both of which are at risk thanks for the even more virulent strain of rightwing Republicanism now on the march again.

And I know people are losing their houses, I've lost two and am doing just fine in my old but comfortable apartment (and when the waste tank overflowed in the basement of the old house its in a few days ago, I could call the landlords to take care of it!).

And physically, how could I be more grateful for having survived cancer and various heart conditions and now brain surgery! So many thanks to many people and developments, how lucky I am to be living now in this age of medical miracles!

Mentally, after the slow recovery of my reading and writing capabilities after the brain op, I couldn't be more grateful either.

And spiritually, let's just say surviving coming face to face with your mortality does something for the soul and leaves you, or at least left me, more certain than ever that love is all that matters in the end, and in the beginning and middle too.

I could go on for ever with a gratitude list, but let's end with an obvious one that I don't hear many people mentioning these days. And that is: thank you thank you thank you that the Bush/Cheney gang are no longer in charge, even though they are still doing all they can to thwart "the will of the people"—in this case the historic majority that elected Obama president, and thanks as well that Sarah Palin is not the vice-president or governor (or president!) of anything, and let's pray it stays that way. Amen.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said michael.....suzanne

Elisabeth said...

I read your posts, Michael but feel ill-equipped to comment on American politics. I can however comment on your gratitude, and all the people and things you list here that make up the joy in your life, however tempered by difficulties. It's good to hear. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia as you do, but the concept seems interesting to me, a time to be thankful is not a bad thing.

Lally said...

Thanks Suzanne and Elisabeth, as always.

Lally said...

PS: I know you're thankful for Athena's recovery Suzanne, and Elisabeth for your mending leg, among so much more, and want to say I am thankful for those things as well. It's amazing how much we can care about people we don't see often or have never seen (in Elisabeth's case). The wonders of modern technology, which like all things has "good" and "bad" aspects to it.

Jamie Rose said...

Amen my brother. And I'm so grateful for you.
xo
Rose

Anonymous said...

sending big smile

suzanne

JIm said...

Hi Mike,
Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankfull for the election and return of sanity to the American people.

JIm said...

Hi Mike and Robert, I thought you both would appreciate a holiday message from an avowed feminist who might reach high office. If she reaches high office, it will be accomplished without affirmative government action, but by her own grit. Whatacountry!!

A Thanksgiving Message to All 57 States

by Sarah Palin on Thursday, November 25, 2010 at 5:46pm

My fellow Americans in all 57 states, the time has changed for come. With our country founded more than 20 centuries ago, we have much to celebrate – from the FBI’s 100 days to the reforms that bring greater inefficiencies to our health care system. We know that countries like Europe are willing to stand with us in our fight to halt the rise of privacy, and Israel is a strong et endlessly Obama et cetera(my et cetera).

Robert G. Zuckerman said...

High Office? she is already high, and if you put your faith in her then you are even higher on the narcotic of ignorance and sheer stupitidy, and I'll tell you what pal, I ain't lettin a loose cannon bring down all that's good. Sarah Palin is media heroin (like what you stick in your arm), just like and no better than, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Tiger Woods, et endlessly cetera.

JIm said...

Robert,

Sarah is a "Woman in Full", whose very existance infuriates the left. They seem to object to the fact she is a good mom and wife who chose life over death for her infant son. She has had a successful public life as well as an increasingly lucrative private life. Sarah supports the Constitution as written. She believes and practices free enterprize with her books, speeches and fishing business which she participtes in with her husband Todd. Patriotism runs in the family with Track serving in the military. To top things off the family is very attractive visually.

In short she has all the ingrediants to drive the left stark raving mad. It is very entertaining to watch.

Paul L. Martin said...

Michael, you have a compadre here in being broke. Lost jobs, lost homes, lost savings--I can relate, and I fear that nothing will ever be the same again. But I am hoping that is okay, that starting over again, even in middle age, makes for fresh thinking and new ideas. Until that kicks in, however, I am left with the struggle against these dark days and being overwhelmed by them.

Take care. I am thankful you made it through all the medical stuff this year and are back reading and writing. I would miss your blog if you were gone.

Lally said...

And I'm glad your blog THE TEACHER'S VIEW is still there too Paul. Some of the stories you've had on there the past few months have been as good as anything out there. That's what really gives me joy—after the things mentioned above—my own creative process and seeing the results of others'.

Robert G. Zuckerman said...

Palin's existence does not infuriate me, but her foray into the public arena and her irresponsible exploitation of her's and her family's noteriety does infuriate all people of intelligence and good conscience, left, center and right, up and down, alike. While I can empathize with her personal challenges as a Mom, she is riding the wave of cultural and media dysfunction, and power to her for selling books she probably didn't write. Whether or not she believes in the Contitution is a projection of yours as is your inappropriate, telling remark about her visual appearance. What is clear is that she does not have a grasp of world affairs, history, grammar, ethics, philosphy, human spirit and truth, traits in common with you, in addition to spelling and factual inaccuracy. People are starting to see through the Tea Party propaganda spin and anti-Obamaism, especially now that corporation have had record profits, unemployment is turning around, the stock market is holding strong, GM is surging and paying back its loans, we had a record Black Friday, medical insurance benefit caps are being lifted, etc. etc. By the way Jim, I thought you were stepping back from this blog commentary?